Santiago Charter Middle School
Welcome to the 2017-2018 school year at Santiago! And to those of you that are new to our school a big huge WELCOME to the Santiago Family! We are happy to have you here!
The Santiago PTSA invites you to “Make an Imprint on Your Child’s Future” and make a difference in the education and quality of life for our children. I hope you all had a great summer and are ready to jump into a new school year with high hopes and expectations. We are so lucky at Santiago to have a fabulous group of teachers and staff that are so dedicated to making an imprint on our children’s future while guiding them through their middle school experience.
We realize how important your children are to you and that you want the very best for them. The PTSA can help you achieve that goal! We all know children learn more and have better lives when parents, school staff, students and the community work together. One of the biggest ways you can do to make a difference in your child’s school is by joining and volunteering with PTSA!
We are looking for a group of enthusiastic, caring parents to make this school year another great year for our staff, students and families, and would love to have you as part of our team! Please take a look at our list of committees / job descriptions below to find a spot that looks right for you. You are not required to have any prior experience, just a willing heart! Several positions fit the flexibility required for working parents, so even if you can’t be on campus during the day, there are opportunities for you.
Please send me an email or give me a call to let me know what “spots” you may be interested in filling. Taking on a position is a great way to get those service hours completed and to help out our Santiago community as well. I am looking forward to putting together a great leadership team for the 2017-2018 school year. Please feel free to give me a call with any questions.
I encourage you to “Make an Imprint in Your Child’s Future”!
~SANTIAGO MIDDLE SCHOOL PTSA CHAIR POSITIONS~
• AVID LIAISON – Responsible for being the liaison between the AVID program and the PTSA. Attend PTSA Meetings and inform membership of AVID current events. Submit articles about the AVID program to the newsletter. Requires some computer knowledge. ***
• EIGHTH GRADE PROMOTION - Responsible for fundraising, planning and coordinating of the 8th grade promotion party. This is typically held in the cafeteria the last Friday of the school year. **
• EL MODENA LIAISON – Share info about El Modena at PTSA Meetings & in the newsletter that is relevant to the Santiago Community.***
• FOUNDATION GAMES – Help with registering students for the games and hold practices. This event is held over spring break.**
• DANCES - Responsible for coordinating parent volunteers and food for each dance.***
• LEGISLATIVE REPRESENTATIVE - Responsible for representing Santiago at OUSD's Legislative Coalition meetings and for reporting relevant legislative information at Santiago PTSA meetings.**
• REFLECTIONS - Responsible for disseminating information, collecting submissions, finding judges, ordering awards and arranging an awards night for this National PTA sponsored art and literature contest. Deliver first place winners to the council so they can be entered at higher levels. ***
• NEWSLETTER/COMMUNITY OUTREACH - Responsible for putting out a quarterly newsletter and maintaining and updating our Santiago PTSA Facebook page. ***
• RECYCLING - Coordinate with Mrs. Maude (Library Media Tech) in collecting of beverage bottles from classrooms and around campus. Once a month during scheduled Work Saturdays, with assistance from other volunteers, sort recyclable beverage containers (plastic/glass/cans). Take to recycling center for redemption. Cash out and return funds to school office. As needed, pick up ink/toner cartridge recyclable boxes to drop off at UPS store. Order more recycle boxes as needed. Funds come directly to school by mail.
• ICE CREAM SALES – Order ice cream, sell ice cream everyday (with a few exceptions), tabulate sales, and prepare deposit. Begins first week of school – Job can be split between parents, training provided **
* This position involves daytime hours.
** This position involves daytime and evening hours.
*** Position can be done at any time: perfect for the working parent.
* Our newsletter is green! We no longer send it home in the mail. It is posted on the Santiago website at the beginning of the month with some copies available in the office.
Interested in joining PTSA?
Please fill out our membership form and return it to the office. We also have other opportunities for parents. Please view the following below:
8th Grade Promotion
Parent Volunteer Form
PTSA Board 2017-2018